I have been hearing so much about sugar lately, it’s effects on the brain, on energy, on health…etc… that I began to take note of my sugar intake and it scared me to realize that I was eating way too much sugar (I love chocolates – especially Tim Tams – Australian biscuits/cookies 😀 ), as well as knowing that kids learn by example.
I have been feeling a little sluggish lately and I have been craving and eating more sugar than necessary. I knew I had to do something about it, so I decided to take this step, one that I know will help us to be healthier, as well as teach our kids, at a younger age, how to control sugar cravings and intake.
I asked Jose if he was willing to try it with me and he said ‘yes’, so we will eliminate sugar for the next 30 days (join us if you can).
I will share a little of how it goes, information on the effects of sugar, and some recipes I might find along the way (if you have gone 30 days without sugar, please let us know how it went – we would love to hear from you 😉 ).
Here is a breakdown of some of the things we will not eat and the healthy options we will be enjoying:
- sweets (candy, lollipops, chocolate, cake, ice-cream, gum, mints…etc)
- processed sugar (white, brown, granulated, powdered, etc…)
- sugar cane
- high fructose corn syrup
- crystalline fructose
- maple syrup
- agave nectar
- coconut sugar
- rice syrup
- artificial sugars (aspartame, saccharin, sucrolose, Splenda, etc.) sugar alcohols (maltitol, xylitol, and sorbitol)
- Juice, smoothies, soda
- anything that has sugar added…
*Read all labels to make sure no sugar has been added
- grains (wholewheat, wholegrain)
- legumes (beans, lentils, garbanzos…etc)
- Herbal Teas (no sugar)